Monday, April 26, 2010

swimming in the deep end




I'm not gonna lie or try and sugarcoat it. I rarely ventured into the deepend of the pool, when I was a kid, when I was a teenager, or even the day before I left for Peace Corps. I can't remember when my fear of swimming in open/somewhat open water started, or why, but I'm sure it has something to do with Jaws and my older brother telling me that sharks not only swam in the ocean but also under the sand... so logical thinking for any kid would be swimming pools were also fair game. Perhaps that's when all my trouble started, I don' t know.




I do know that last weekend I stood on the bow of a boat, eyed a whale shark, and jumped in for a nice leisurely swim with it... Ok, leisurely may be stretching it, but I was at least in the water!


My friend and I went down to Padre Burgos, Southern Leyte for a weekend of snorkeling with the gentle creatures. We went with an crew that goes out weekly to give foreigners the once-in-a-life time thrill of diving with the world's largest fish. All I gotta say is they look WAY bigger when I was in the water and their dotted skin is just an armslength away than when I saw them at the Georgia Aquarium a couple years back. WAY BIGGER!!

No comments: