Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'm Excited, Are You?!

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am about the books that have been collected and are being sent here for the school's library, and I decided that the kids should have the opportunity to get really excited about the books also. I mean they're coming for them, and they will be ones who are impacted so much by so many wonderful resources. They deserve the right to have a part of this huge event.

To do this, I had a few of the girls in first year create calendars for the months of February, March, and April. I posted them on the front of my desk in the library, and told the kids they have a chance to guess the day that the books will come. I have no clue when the boxes will show up, so it's completely random as to who wins. The students can pick a day by writing their name on the calendar, and if they guess correctly they win a prize. Of course the first question was, "What's the prize?" I come up with American candy, which got a big "OHHH!!!" They're getting really excited.

Not only are they getting excited, but they're also getting competitive. Dovie, one of the other teachers, told me that the kids are even asking her to let them know when she gets a text from the post master to say when I get a package, that way they can rush into the library and sign up for that day. So sorry kids, but these boxes are coming through an independent delivery system... not the regular post office!

I'm also quietly letting kids borrow children books that my parents sent in an earlier box so they can see what type of books will be coming. I think seeing the books is more exciting for them than the possible candy prize. For example, I was talking with Lyka Mae today about what her elementary school was like, and she told me how she went to school in the mountains, so there were only 9 people in her class, and it was a "very poor school" which had no books. In the past four days, Lyka Mae has borrowed 4 books, 3 of which were chapter books. Apparently she's been reading them during her vacant and recess time. I can't wait for Lyka Mae to see the books coming!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hi Connie,

I just wanted to say hello and tell you that I have been enjoying reading your blog. I am glad that things seem to be going really well for you. I hope you even remember who I am.

Megan Connell

Connie Hoover said...

Hi Megan,

Of course I remember! How are you? I always wonder who reads these posts! It was good hearing from you. Tell Molly hi for me :)

Love,
Connie Sue