Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hail Mary, Full of Grace

Probably one of the best conversations, aside from the Chinese New Year one, I’ve had with my host mom happened yesterday. She’s been helping me get ready for the move and everything, and while we were finishing up I asked her about the Rosary. I know I am very ignorant about the catholic faith, especially considering I’ve been here for 6 months and Catholicism is at the foundation of almost everything they do, but I want to learn more. Anita is the perfect person to ask about it.

Anita was very patient in explaining it to be, how the rosary is a tool for praying and helps you to meditate. She even gave me special booklet that tells what to do and say for each bead, and which mysteries to read for each day. She also gave me a rosary to use.

I tried it last night, and today, and I know I’m not catholic, but I like a lot of the things that the rosary does. First off, I’m a very visual person. I would much rather write a prayer to God than to say one aloud because I am better able to organize my thoughts. After being visual, my next learning style would have to be kinesthetic. I guess this is why the rosary beads help me stay focused on what I’m doing. I mean, I’ve begun to pray before, and actually just shut off my mind and forgotten that I was having a conversation with God. I know that makes me sound like a mental case, but it’s hard for me to focus sometimes. The beads in my hands though seems to keep me on the path, and while the Hail Mary’s and Fatima Prayer are new to me, the Apostle’s Creed, Our Father and Glory Be are the same ol’ ones that Mrs. Larimer made me learn in 3rd grade Sunday School.

I have a new appreciation for Anita. I can tell that she lives out her faith, and when she took the time to teach me and gave me the rosary beads, I knew she cared for me. And although I may have a different religious background and what not, she’s showed me how we all have a lot in common. I loved it when she answered my question about what she thinks of other religions with, “It is all the same God. I just want us to all get along.” I can respect that.

No comments: