Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Would you like a glass of water?

Yep, that’s what I had to ask the delivery men today after they finished hauling our box of books to the school this afternoon!! WOOHOO!! It was about 2:00 in the afternoon when I looked out the window and saw the two men, both looking like they were about to drop from having to carry this enormous box of books up the hill that the school sits on, trying to find the library.

The kids of course drifted into the library to check out the new arrival, especially Heinrich, who won the first “Guess the Day” contest we had going. February 17th was claimed by him, and he was not only eagerly awaiting his prize candy, but was one of the first kids to grab a book and start reading. I love watching kids read!

This box was sent by one of my new favorite people, Don, who read about the library project on my blog and decided to collect books to send back to his home country. The kids kept asking me who donated these books, and the smiles that lit up their faces when I told them that a Filipino living in America had donated them were bright enough to light up Las Vegas. What an amazing gift.

Aside from watching the kids read and greeting the delivery men, my favorite moment today was when I had a conversation with my counter part Mila about my dreams for the library. I told her how I thought we really should focus on children and younger students. She automatically agreed and then continued the discussion by saying, “That way they will really grow up with a love for reading.” She gets it, and I know this is just the beginning of an amazing addition to Inopacan.

No comments: