Saturday, August 21, 2010

...and this was one of the most exciting parts of my week... i'm not sure how to feel about that...

I am no good at cooking. I burn things, leaving the kitchen filled with a wonderful layer of smoke, which slowly permeates through the entire house. It's never good when I try to fry things, or grill things, or saute.

How do I eat?

I boil things and microwave (very, very carefully... cause yeah, I've been known to make things explode,) and now I rice cooker things. And here is where I say, KISS IT MARTHA STEWART!!

This rice cooker thing, (don't judge me because I'm in the Peace Corps and own a rice cooker, there are quite a few Filipinos who use electric rice cookers!) is doable. Even I can handle just adding water and rice, then plugging in a cord and pushing the button. this week however, I took it to a whole new level, a Martha Stewart level. Yeah, it was THAT good!



I know, it's kind of a no brainer, any heat will cook an egg... but for me this was some inovative stuff! My mom sent some Mexican rice seasoning packets (but if I wanted to make this Filipino, maybe adding Magic Sarap would work?) so I added that to the rice before it cooked. Once that was done, I added the chopped tomatoes, egg, and wait for it. wait for it. cilantro.
Yeah Martha, I grow my own cilantro!!
Then you just let it sit with the lid back on until the egg is done steaming. Steaming? I guess, but there's no water. Eh, I don't know, I'm not a cook, whatever. You let it sit until the egg is ready to your liking. Then you just take the pot out of the cooker, and here's the best best part, for that classic "eat it straight from the kitchen" feel you eat it straight from the rice cooker pot... and one less dish to wash. :)
It's a good thing.

1 comment:

Jasmine Sawers said...

Um, that looks delicious, and as a rice connoisseur, I'm frankly ashamed at myself for not having done something similar sooner.