Monday, August 2, 2010

Shut Up and Dance

I'm a white girl who can't dance. I know, stereotypes are bad... but sometimes they're true, and the one that says that white people can't dance accurately describes me. I don't have the beat and I don't have the rhythm; I mean I can barely stumble through the electric slide. I never used to dance in America, but here in the Philippines it's not the worst thing in the world.

This past weekend I was one of the facilitators for a training another volunteer was leading, and one thing I loved about this training, and the Philippines in general, was the music and dance. Can you imagine going to a professional development training and everybody just listening to the Glee soundtrack and dancing as their opening energizer? I for one know I would have hated it if I was ever expected to dance at some type of conference, but now it's just fun! Everybody participated, even the woman who was breastfeeding her kid... I mean that's some dedication to the art of dancing.

The rest of the training went really well. We talked about Phonics and Phonemic awareness and how to use those unfamiliar teacher words in the everyday classroom. It was very hands on, and hopefully they can take some of the activities back to their classroom. It was a good weekend. :)

No comments: